Information Sheet

CASA Remote Pilot Licence (RePL)
Short Course – Multirotor up to 25kg

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Short Course – multirotor up to 25kg for the RePL.

This Course will give you a Remote Pilot Licence. You will then be able to pilot a Remotely Piloted Aircraft on commercial operations.

  • This course applies to those with prior aviation knowledge and who have passed the RPL or PPL theory exam.
  • A person who holds or has held: A flight crew licence or an Air Traffic Control licence (civil or military) and/or a Command Instrument Rating is taken to satisfy the points above
  • The qualification for Commercial Operations of RPA (drone) is to have logged 5-hours with a Basic RPAS Training Provider (such as IAS Pty Ltd).
  • We train a maximum of two students, to give quality time on the field.

When, Where, Dates

2-hour night classroom theory is held monthly on Mondays from 6:30pm to 8:30pm at 10 Eagle Drive, Jandakot Airport (Minovation Flying School building which is opposite the Royal Flying Doctor Services building). The new CASA certified curriculum theory material is used.

The flying training will take place over the following day or two to build up the required 5 hours. This flying training coincides with our normal field training for our 5-day RePL training course students.

Venue is Sutherlands Park, Huntingdale (corner Southern River Road & Gay Street. Use entry off Gay Street).

2019 Dates

  • July 15,
  • August 12,
  • September 9,
  • October 14,
  • November 11,
  • December 9

Please read on for information regarding
1. Gaining your own Remote Operator Certificate (ReOC)

2. Gaining your own Operator’s Certificate (ReOC)

  • This is not a requirement for the RePL – you can still fly for someone else’s ReOC; or operate under the authority of someone else’s ReOC as an independent Contractor.
  • There is no extra course needed for the gaining of an Operator Certificate.
  • IAS have contractors operating Australia-wide and can give extensive information and answer all queries in this regard.

Information about Gaining a Remotely Piloted Aircraft Operators Certificate (ReOC)

If you want to fly a Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) commercially in Australia, outside the ‘excluded’ category, then you need to be licenced and/or certified.

This Certification comes in the form of a Remote Pilot Licence (RePL), allowing individuals to fly for commercial operators, who in turn need to hold an RPA Operator’s Certificate (ReOC).

Once you have gained your RePL, you may operate commercially for (or under the authority of) a ReOC holder; or apply to get your own ReOC certificate.

To gain a ReOC you must:

Go to then find and download and do the following;

  1. Complete Application Forms 101-02 and Form 101-04.
  2. Complete and submit.
    • supporting documentation (Forms 101-02 and Form 101-04) and
    • your RPAS Operations Manual and RPAS Operations zProcedures (Library).
      These manuals are CASA templates already done for you; you only need to provide information pertinent to your commercial operation.
  3. IAS have contractors operating Australia-wide and can give extensive information and answer all queries in this regard.
  4. Pay the assessment fee when asked to by CASA (currently the fee is around $1,240).
  5. Participate in a telephone interview with CASA.
    • A CASA inspector will arrange a time to telephone you
    • You will be emailed a simulated drone job to prepare and plan; to be emailed back to the inspector before the appointment time.
    • The inspector will discuss on the telephone the simulated job and will discuss other regulatory matters.
    • The inspector will make a list of things you got wrong (called a Knowledge Deficiency Report [KDR]); to be emailed to you to rectify on the report; to return to the inspector.
    • Provided the inspector is happy with your response, he will issue your ReOC..